Does the World need another Ballistics App?
The finnish company Lapua thinks so, and considering how good the finns are at apps maybe it’s worth a look?
I mean, if you ever played any of the Angry Bird apps, you know there’s a lot of ballistics involved as well.
The new app is available for both Android and iOS mobiles, and it’s free of charge. No, there will be no Windows version.
What is new here is that Lapua uses 6DoF, 6 Degrees of Freedom, which is a calculation method that requires a very expensive Doppler radar testing. Unfortunately this is not available for a lot of bullets. Luckily the software also supports traditional G7 calculations and custom bullets.
You can read more and download the App from here. Lapua Ballistics App.
Lapua Ballistics is the ultimate 6DOF ballistics tool for mobile devices. Lapua Ballistics is the first mobile ballistics app utilizing the 6DOF calculation model, which makes it the most accurate ballistics app on the market. Lapua Ballistics always offers the latest, Doppler proven Lapua cartridge and bullet data for you to combine with your firearm and local weather information. The app also includes the option to define custom bullets manually.
• Utilizes 6DOF, the most accurate calculation method
• Always available with latest Lapua cartridge / bullet information
• Quick and easy to change inputs like distance, wind speed and angle
• Several result outputs available depending on your needs; numerical, reticle, table and graph views
• Share your calculation results with your friends
Manage rifle / Cartridge data
• Create your own firearm / reticle combinations
• Choose between metric and imperial values
• Set Point Blank-range to different sight-in distances and impact windows
• Define aiming point to moving target
• Define custom bullets (calculations based on BC G1 or G7 and Siacci method)
• Pre-set max 4 powder temperature – Vo pairs to the same cartridge to correct powder temperature sensitivity
• Sight-in-POI, Coriolis calculation
• Compare up to 3 Lapua cartridge/bullet performances to each other
The people over at Finnaccuracy have been involved in the development of this software, and below is a video with a stability calculation example.
“Introduction video on what true 6DOF engine is able to simulate.
308Win / 14″ twist barrels are commonly used in Palma- shooting with 155gr HPBT bullets.
14″ is known to be already on edge of safe stabilization- video shows what Lapuas new ballistic engine predicts to happen if 15″ and 16″ twists are used instead.
Still, 155gr projectiles shot with 15″ and especially 16″ twists may even tumble in real life- remember that this is only a simulation.
Software shows clear warnings of instability after 14.3″ twist, as it may well be in real life too. 14″ twist is known to be in edge of safe stabilization. This can not be seen with any of current software, at least with shooter friendly price-tag.”
Personally I use Strelok Pro which has a great bullet and reticle database, but I will have a deeper look into Lapua’s new one and compare. I presume, specially for Lapua bullets and very long range shooting, that the Lapua app will be state of the art.
Let’s stick together on this one, if you find any bugs please don’t tell the Finns before the next World Shoot!