2016 will see a new line of ammunition for Browning Ammunition. Walking around the SHOT 2016 Media day, I had the chance to talk to the Browning representative about the BXC Controlled Expansion product line. The BXC Controlled Expansion series is designed for big game like moose, elk, mule deer and bear. I personally like to hunt with 30 calibers, notably the .308 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield and the 300 WSM. The .308 Winchester is loaded with 168 bullets that have a G1 ballistic coefficient of .436. The 30-06 and 300 WSM are loaded with a 185 grain bullet that has a ballistic coefficient of .484. These are exceptional ballistic coefficients, and would offer a hunter a greater chance of success taking a 400-500 yard shot while having to deal with heavy wind gusts.
Aside from the BXC Controlled Expansion rounds, Browning is also offering the BXR Rapid Expansion Round. The BXR Rapid Expansion round is designed medium sized game species, notably whitetail deer, blacktail deer, mule deer and antelope.
Joining the BXC and BXR rounds are several others:
- BXD Waterfowl Extra Distance – High velocity shotgun shells for tighter shot patterns and deeper penetration of fowl.
- BXD Upland Extra Distance – High Velocity shotgun shell for hunting upland game.
- BXP Personal Defense – Self defense pistol round. Good expansion and penetration.
- BPT Performance Target Full Metal Jacket – Training ammunition
- BPT Performance Target Sporting loads – These shotshells are optimized for sporting clays.
- BPR Performance Rimfire Target and Hunting – Rimfire rounds optimized for hunting small game.
I look forward to these rounds being available. I would love to test some of the 185 grain 300 WSM BXC rounds. Browning Ammunition will be at SHOT booth 15129.