Today knowledge of Operation Red Wings is fairly widespread as a result of the movie Lone Survivor, which followed on the heels of the book by the same name. Of course, many movie-goers did not and still do not realize they were watching a tragic story play out that was not manufactured by Hollywood but actually took place in the shale-strewn mountains of the Hindu Kush. It’s been a decade since those four Navy SEALs were inserted into Afghanistan’s Kunar Province, a decade since Lieutenant Michael Murphy, Petty Officer Second Class Danny Dietz, and Petty Officer Second Class Matt Axelson lost their lives in a ferocious fight to the death against known terrorists. A decade since the one survivor, Hospital Corpsman Second Class Marcus Luttrell, fell down a mountain, crawled to a stream, and was quite literally saved by a Pashtun by the name of Gulab. Ten years later, families continue to mourn the loss of their husbands, brothers, and sons. But in the case of the family of SEAL Matt Axelson, they’ve found a way to help his memory live on by founding Axelson Tactical.
Axelson Tactical is launching a line of well-made rifles which I’ll be doing full reviews of at a later date. I will say today that they’re reliable, enjoyable to shoot, and aesthetically awesome thanks to some sweet Cerakote jobs. However, the focus today is on their special run of pistols, one so limited it’s bound to sell out lightning quick.
The limited edition pistol being offered by Axelson Tactical was designed in memory of founder Jeff Axelson’s brother, Matt, so it’s called the Axe 17. It’s a Glock 17 featuring serious customization, and we’re not just talking about the battle-distressed Cerakote finish or the Axelson Tactical logo that’s emblazoned across the slide. The Axe 17 has been customized as follows:
- 1911-style grip reduction
- Grip stippling over the entire grip’s surface including improved finger pads and stippling under the trigger guard
- Trijicon HD night sights: bright red for day with Trijicon’s signature glow at night https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDNS
- Magwell beveled and rear of magwell epoxied for greater speed during tactical reloads
- Trigger guard recessed to allow a higher grip
- Engraving of American flag on top of slide connects with Matthew Axelson Foundation logo
- Engravings Axelson Tactical, TMT, and the one-of-a-kind Axe 17
- Slide has extra serrations on sides as well as newly machined serrations on top for an improved grip while chambering a round or field stripping gun
- Front of slide beveled for easier holster and rapid presentation
- Ghost 3.5 lb trigger kit with all internal components polished and lapped http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_UTK/35-Ultimate-COMPLETE-Trigger-Kit-for-Glocks-GEN-1-4.html
- Slide Cerakoted in battle-distressed bronze pattern; frame Cerakoted in Armor Black
Buyers of the Axe 17 receive additional items as well: the Axelson Tactical Fightowel (Fight Hard. Fight Well.), a box of Marcus Luttrell’s Team Never Quit (TNQ) ammunition, and 4 ounces of SEAL-1. In addition, the custom gun comes with an ammo can gun case, which is Cerakoted and serialized to match the Axe 17 stored within.
Axelson Tactical may be a new company, but they’re one showing an immediate and great sense of pride in quality and performance. Then there’s their strong sense of patriotism and loyalty, traits that may not seem to have much to do with manufacturing firearms but actually do. The Axelson family – which is made up of both blood relatives and military veterans – works together to create reliable firearms, guns with great tactical uses as well as appealing appearances. They may be new, but they show promise.
The Axe 17 is being manufactured in a limited run of just 99 pistols. Price is set at $1695 and 6 to 8 weeks should be allowed for delivery. Order yours now by visiting the company’s website at http://axelsontactical.com/products/rifles-handguns/axe-17.html or calling 1-855-SHOP-AXE.
Scroll down for links to products for sale on their own such as the Fightowel, Team Never Quit ammo, and SEAL-1 CLP Plus.
Axelson Tactical links:
Axelson Tactical home page: http://axelsontactical.com/
Axelson Tactical Fightowel: http://axelsontactical.com/products/fightowel.html
AxeTac and SEAL-1 CLP Plus: http://axelsontactical.com/products/axelson-tactical-clp-plus.html
Team Never Quit ammo: http://snakerivershootingproducts.com/ammunition/