Wilson Combat has just updated their Protector line of 1911s with a number of new features. Larry Vickers took a good look at the handgun and has a segment talking with one of the designers and eventually firing it. They came in either 9mm ($3985) or .45 ACP ($3875) and in three different models, Full Size, Professional (4 inch barrel) offered in either a steel or light weight aluminium frames and Compact only offered in aluminium frames.
A look at some of the specifications shows the detail put into the guns-
- Integral Light Rail steel or lightweight frame
- 5″ Stainless Match Grade Cone Barrel, Flush Cut and Crowned
- 5″ Carbon Steel Slide
- 30 LPI High Cut Checkered Frontstrap
- Bullet Proof® Round Butt Magazine Well
- High-Ride Bullet Proof® Beavertail Grip Safety
- Tactical Bullet Proof® Thumb Safety
- 3 ½# – 3 ¾# Crisp Trigger Pull with Medium Length Pad
- Bullet Proof® Magazine Release
- G10 Starburst Grips with Black Medallions
- Countersunk Slide Stop
- Heavy Machine Chamfer on Bottom of Slide
- Battlesight with Fiber Optic Front Sight
- Fluted Chamber
- Fluted Barrel
- 30 LPI Slide Top Serrations
- 40 LPI Serrated Rear of Slide
- Front Cocking Serrations and Carry Cuts
This is Wilson Combat’s description-
The 2015 Protector® is based on our steel or lightweight, light-rail frame in Full-size, Professional or Compact trim and was designed from the ground up as a next generation all-around, carry 1911 pistol with modern styling and performance enhancements.
Built on our rugged steel or lightweight aluminum light-rail capable frames, the 2015 Protector® will help you own the night in every possible fighting scenario with the legendary reliability, accuracy and detailing that a Wilson Combat custom pistol is known for. You can tailor the specifications and caliber of your chosen 2015 Protector® to the tactical task at hand. Whether you are carrying concealed or for duty use-the choice is yours, the size and performance options of the 2015 Protector® can be modified to meet your needs.
Every 2015 Protector® has all the features selected for our rendition of the ultimate modern tactical handgun including a fluted tactical cone barrel, round butt, one-piece Bullet Proof ® magwell and a unique slide profile that wears both our signature carry cuts and abbreviated front cocking serrations-a unique styling feature of this model.
The company also had this to say about California legal and IDPA-
Current California Protector® model will still exist as a separate model and will not change. All current orders for Legacy Protector® models will be filled as ordered with previous Protector® specs unless specified otherwise.
2015 Protector®model not legal in CA.
Full size model not IDPA legal.