One of the more unique firearms I came across during SHOT Show this year was from Turkish firearms company Derya Silah Sanayi, or Derya Hunting Arms. The new, patented Derya Mk-10 AR-style semi-auto shotguns present very interesting additions to the shotgun market, especially for law enforcement, military, or self-defense applications.
The Derya Mk-10 AR-style shotguns (VR-100 and VR-101) have a 6-position collapsible stock, that also has a complete 180-degree folding option as well. The lower receiver is very similar to an AR-10 lower receiver complete with similar AR-style controls.The upper receiver; however, is a modification of Derya’s previous Mk-10 shotgun receiver. In this combination the Derya appears to be much different than other AR-shotguns that have taken a more AR-style and appearance.
The pistol grip is an A2-style grip, though slightly different on the front grip design. Manual safety, magazine release lever, and trigger system are all very similar to AR-style weapon systems. The charging handle is attached to the bolt and is manually locked open and released. The top receiver has a full-length Picatinny style rail for easy installation of optional optics and accessories.
The Derya Mk-10 VR-100 Specifications:
- Model VR-100 – Tactical polymer handguard, with bird case flash suppressor
- Model VR-101 – Traditional style polymer hand guard with small Picatinny bottom rail, muzzle brake style with breaching crown head
- Overall Length – (Approximate) 40″ extended, 37″ collapsed, ” folded (official measurements were not provided on the SHOT floor)
- Barrel Length – 18.5″ (470 mm) or 20.0″ (500 mm)
- Height – Not released at SHOT
- Weight – 8.38 lbs. (3.8 kg) unloaded)
- Gauge – 12 gauge only
- Chamber – 3″ (accepts 2.75″ and 3″ shells)
- Chokes – Choke with silencer (not suppressor), compatible with Beretta and Benelli chokes
- Action – Semi-auto, gas pressure system
- Ammunition feeding – MKA 1919, detachable, vertical box magazines
- Capacity – 2+1, 6+1, or 9+1
- Sights – A2 style adjustable and detachable rear sight on carry-handle; A2 style adjustable and detachable front sight
- MSRP – $699.00
The break-down of the Mk-10 VR-100 is achieved by pulling the bolt approximately half way back in the ejection port. This allows the locking bolt lever, located on the front, side of the lower receiver, to be turned releasing the two receivers. The Derya uses levers instead of traditional AR-style pins. The shooter then pulls back and downward on the lower receiver to separate the two receivers.
Started in 2000, Derya already has produced a number of traditional semi-auto and pump shotguns; as well as, box magazine fed options. On the SHOT Show floor I got to talk with American importer, Donald “Ben” Bishop, of Advanced Tactical Imports (NOT to be confused with the “other” ATI importer). Based out of Huntsville, Alabama, Advanced Tactical Imports is currently the exclusive importer of Derya shotguns in the United States. Derya has already made a name for themselves, and established distribution in the European and Middle East firearm markets.