The famous curse of the breaking plastic safety buttons on Mossberg pump-action shotguns has finally hit me.
My tang broke (Sounds like the punch-line of a dirty joke!) and I FIXED it, like a boss!
I fabricated a new tang from a bit of aluminum, dremelled it into shape/ size, and fixed it: it works!
Notice how it gives me positive surface for thumb contact, with enough curvature to avoid snagging?
I know it may look ugly, but at least, until I am able to buy a new factory safety tang, this would have to do. I did NOT feel comfortable without a safety button, and this is functional enough.
Let me know what you think?
There has been some recent “tacticalisation” of my shotgun.
From a basic stock Mossberg 500A, which has gone through a LOT! (Improvised stocks, improvised sights, I have shot a LOT of improvised slugs through it…)
– Fab Defense Group Folding stock with adjustable cheek pad. (Sold by Mako Group)
– AIM Full Length picatinny rail.
– Troy Tritium folding Iron Back-Up Sights (Front and Back.)
– Magpul barrel and magazine clamp.
How did I get these? Let’s just say my birthday came early this year, and I had a visit from the “shotgun fairy”! Actually, they were legally brought as samples, and I was able to buy them off. That’s all I am permitted to say.
I got to shoot my Mossberg 500A after these most recent mods, and I must say that I am happy I had done so under “test” conditions, and not in a real life situation. Quite a lot failed.
It is great for folding for carriage and concealment, but it did not work very well for me in practice.
I forgot to change the folding direction to the right side, and got a badly busted lip from the protruding hinge for that. I have changed the folding direction and my lip should be good from now on… (My second busted lip in one year.)
However: I have now changed my stock to the exceptional Magpul SGA stock for Mossberg 500.
It handles perfectly and I realize now that I had been “misguided” in my initial love for pistol-grip type or folding stocks! Access to the safety button and the slide release just got magically PERFECT.
While shooting, I practiced using my new Safariland Shell carrier for quick reload with a tactical drill…
A good, useful, easy-to-use product. Easy access to your spare shells, but must be used with a belt, and God help you if you have a large gut, and “love-handles” like I now do! [Strangely: I actually do not drink!] I did a tactical drill with my Mossberg and it was sweetly intuitive to pull out shells and do fast reloads.
In practice – AIM full-length rail (Used with Troy Folding Battle Sights)
This did NOT work as advertised at all! When fixed: the rail curved from the receiver to the front mounting point. So the sights were not properly aligned. I initially tested and confirmed my sight alignment with a laser bore-slighter but it did NOT work at all and led to woefully inaccuracy. I was unable to put even ONE slug or bird-shot pellet on a two foot by two foot metal tray which was the target at 20 yards. (Bulls eye was a red spray-painted 4 inch circle.)
I have now taken off the rail, and installed separate barrel rail clamps and receiver rails. I have gone back to a simple tube-type sight, which I have used before and it served the purpose.
This time, I machined a good, precise tube out of stainless steel pipe, and aiming through it is by using what is called the Halo effect. (When you cannot see any of the inner edges of the tube, and can only see a perfectly round two-shade “halo” with your target right in the middle – you know you are well aligned on target…) I have in the past simply clamped an aluminium tube to my barrel as a sight, and I got good accuracy with it out to 50 yards… I’m sure you guys remember…Several cannons have similar sighting. (Hotchkiss 25mm Anti-Tank for example…)
This is “Matilda” (As I like to call my shotgun) now, after all the changes… Next stop: a good [improvised] sling, and then some test-shooting when I am able to!
And oh, if you ever have a desperate need for cuff-links, you have an interview or dinner, and no cuff-links, but you have a couple of thumb-tacks at home, the sort with plastic grips.
Just do this:
Use pliers to remove the metal pins.
Make sure to pull out the pins properly…
And there you have them! One-use expedient cuff-links. Just make sure they are the same colour!